Saturday, May 18, 2013

Savagely Scrimping on a Thursday


Hi everyone!  As you all know last weekend was Trevor's graduation and we had to throw a party.  That left us with a lot of leftover brisket!  There are only so many brisket sandwiches a person can handle but I had to much brisket to just throw away.

So...

I remembered for the wedding my sister and I concocted a little dish using leftover brisket so I took that and changed it up a bit.  I bought some Rice a Roni, beef flavored, tomato sauce, 2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes, and some tortillas.  I cooked the rice, through in the tomato sauce and tomatoes, added some ranch style and black beans from the pantry and fed my family of 8 for less than $6!  The great thing is that Scott and Trevor can take the leftover leftovers in their lunches!  This week I am planning my menu for the week.  Cross your fingers!

Another thing I am doing this week is starting a savings account for Scott and I.  Our plan is to put money from each paycheck in it and to not touch it until we have 4 months salary in it.  The money in it will allow us to pay off some vehicles and leave us with enough for a down payment for a brand spanking new mortgage payment!  

Remember, if you're new to being frugal baby steps is the way to go.  Don't get upset if you screw up.  It takes some time to replace old habits with new!      

No comments:

Post a Comment