Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day: A day filled with all of the same life crap plus extra hugs


This weekend was super busy for our house.  We had a graduate, grandparents, exes, family, and Mother's Day all wrapped into a neat, little dysfunctional package.  People began arriving Friday and we hit the ground running.  Not only did we have graduation to prepare for but we also had a munky running district track and a munky on a field trip 6 hours away.  

The day of graduation we had breakfast and began getting ready for the big event.  Showers started at 8:30 am and dirty little bodies rolled through procession with underwater dancing synchronicity.  The oldest girl munky curled the youngest girl munky's hair while I made sure the youngest boy munkies were wearing clean clothes and matching socks.  Big Daddy and Papa Kenny picked up the rented tables and finished straightening the backyard.  

Ok...

So that's the mechanics of the day but let's talk about the emotions of the day.  Big Daddy is stressed because he worries that things won't be perfect and I will be upset and he is sad because his munky is graduating.  Oldest female munky and third oldest munky are emotionally distraught because their mom is in town and they are concerned that they won't be able to spend time with her.  The two youngest munkies are sad because the other munkies have been with their mom.  

Do you need a minute to figure out which munky is doing what?

That's ok I will wait....

Oldest Munky graduates and we eat.  The 3 oldest munkies minus the graduate concoct a plan to stay the night with their mom even though it was decided that they would stay at the house due to other relatives being there.  

We end the night sitting by the fire, eating smores and drinking wine.
Yes we ARE classy!

Mother's Day arrives and I get a special gift from the littlest munky and a hug from the next to littlest munky.  Big Daddy keeps asking me if I am going to get ready, so I do.  I get a Happy Mother's Day wish from the second oldest munky and I walk into the living room and catch Big Daddy messaging the oldest female munky and I get a message from her sending me wishes.  I sit down next to him and check my Facebook.  I stumble upon her wishing her mom happy Mother's Day and my heart breaks.  It breaks because mom ranks wishes on a wall and I get a message after dad reminds her.  It is then that I realize that I will forever be a substitute pitcher.  An hour after she posts the wishes to her mom, she posts wishes to me.  I am positive that this is after Big Daddy informs her that I cried like a baby.  

I know that she loves her mom and I have always said that I just wanted a place in their life.  It just cracked my heart a bit and it is what it is.

We head out to town and meet the munkies at a Mother's Day Brunch.  

There was an ice sculpture!


The moment we sat down I knew that emotions were to raw for anyone to truly enjoy this day.  Everyone was bickering, pouting, whining...
I was sad for a minute as I sat there thinking, "I give so much to these kids and everyone of them are being so selfish.  So consumed with what they want.  I can't have one day."

So I decided to take joy in the small things.  Big Daddy trying so hard to plan a nice day, a hug, a kiss...
Let me brag about my family for a moment.  Although everyone of them acted like a punk most of the day there was one exceptional moment in WalMart.  This is rare because I HATE WALMART!  This moment is so exceptional I am using real names because it's so very special.
Austin asked Scott for some money so that he could buy me a present.  Scott distracted me, slipped him a $20, and off he went.  I was trying desperately to keep everyone together because I was ready to get the hell out of there.  I finally managed to get 4 out of the 6 together and ordered them to stay at the water guns. I went to the water guns and here come Brittney, Austin, and Tyeler running from outside.  Michael and Aidan are no where to be found and Trevor is oblivious to it all.  At this point I am stressed beyond stressed and want to get the hell out of there.  

Later I find that my family was purposely stressing me so that they could buy my present and get it to the Excursion.  Austin had decided that he was getting me flowers to plant and the 5 of them picked them out.  

It was a special moment in a very trying day and that is the moment I will carry in my heart.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment