Monday, April 8, 2013

I may not be perfect but at least I try

I go to bed every night thinking about what I could have done differently. I think about where I failed and where I succeeded.  Some days I really screw up as a mom.  I mean REALLY screw up.  Then I go to bed thinking, "I have warped my children for life!"

 I haven't forgotten one yet....

YET!

I don't always give that special "atta boy" and sometimes I miss when a hug is all that was needed.  I don't mean to, life gets in the way.  As I reflect over the day I see that fleeting crushed look when I said something that came out to harsh and didn't give that hug.  I see that look and my heart breaks.

Sometimes I don't tell one of my kids that they are super special when they need it the most.  Surrounded by the darkness I see the look of self doubt in my child's eyes projecting on my ceiling.  Shining like the brightest star in the sky.  I can't help but see this and know that I failed.

Then there are times when I yell at the perpetrator of a spilled drink and fail to realize it was only an accident.  I see a huge mess to clean up and not the immediate look of apology. When I close my eyes at night I see that look, the look of big, sad, pleading eyes and it haunts my dreams.

On those days I  really screw up. 

 TOTALLY!

I have to believe that because I sit and reflect on what I could have done better, I am a good mom.  Or an aspiring good mom anyway...   I have to believe that those precious moments when I bring my "A" game count more than those when I totally dropped the ball.  I love my kids more than they will ever know.  Old, new, borrowed, blue... I love them and I hope that someday they will look back and say, "You know she wasn't always perfect but at least she always tried." 


No comments:

Post a Comment