Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hey I am an upstanding member of the community...

When I married Scott I moved to a new little town.  Well it's an old little town but to me it's a new little town.    It is a town that he grew up in and where his family lives.  When I say a small town I mean S M A L L town.  We have one grocery store and it closes at 8 pm.  

In my previous life I wanted to belong to civic groups, to make a difference.  That never panned out.  When I left my beloved State of Texas 4 years ago and moved to Kansas, I joined a Ladies Jr Civic Club and participated in it for about a year or two.  It lost it's luster but looking back that was when the problems in my life caught up with me and I went into survival mode.  

I had sick kids today and used this opportunity to catch up on Season 3 of The Walking Dead.  Yes I know it is over but I do not have cable so I am playing catch up.  SSHSHSH!  Don't ruin it for me!  

Ok, wait a minute.

Let me get back on track....

 There was a scene in one of the episodes where Andrea says, "I have been surviving for so long, I don't know what is important to me any more "  When I heard this I thought, "THAT is EXACTLY how I feel!"  I survived for so long, so many years, that I lost sight of what I wanted to do in this world.    

Don't misunderstand, I have always wanted to be a mom and I love being a mom.  When I talk about what I want to do in this world, I mean, "What makes me happy?  What is it that I really like to do?" You know, OUTSIDE of being a mom...

Well this little new/old town has helped me to slowly figure out what it is that I want to do.  I want to be proud of where I live.  I want to be a part of the things offered in this little community.  I want to get my shit together and be a real grown-up.

SO...

I joined a group called Lakin Pride Committee.  This group helps to beautify this little town.  They, in conjunction with the City of Lakin, have built 3 parks and have many other projects to make Lakin a pretty place to live.  I had the opportunity to help put together a swing set that was part of the new playground in one of the parks. 
See that's me!  I am the shadow! My husband is the one in the cap... 
Do you see him? ;)
  

This is the bare bones of the playground!

The really great thing is that my husband supports me and jumps right in there when he is needed for the projects.

So I am pleased to announce that I am an upstanding member of the community... almost!

No comments:

Post a Comment